Federal Registry Required for MA Saltwater-Recreational Anglers as of January 1, 2010

February 28th, 2010  |  Published in Industry News

fishing license

License required in 2011

In 2010, all Massachusetts Recreational Anglers, 16 years or older, must register with the National Marine Fisheries Service for a permit. This can be done online at: http://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov or by calling 888-674-7411. There is no federal fee for registering. In 2011 and beyond, all anglers will be required to apply for a recreational fishing permit issued by the Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries. These permits will be available online or through selected retail outlets, bait and tackle stores, by mail, or in person at any Marine Fisheries office location in MA. The proposed state permit fee for 2011 is $10 for residents and non-residents alike. If you are planning a trip on a charter boat, only the charter company or head-boat operator will be required to register in 2010 and purchase a permit in 2011.

What about anglers that possess a federal permit or a Commercial license? The new regulations state: if you land fish in Massachusetts recreationally, regardless of where the fish was caught or the commercial license you hold, you’ll need the permit. The registry of active, recreational anglers will allow the Department of Marine Fisheries to collect better data and make decisions on bag limits, seasons and sizes. This new law will be enforced by the Environmental Police and the US Coast Guard, so make sure you register before going out on your first fishing trip. If you are visiting Massachusetts or are unsure if you require a permit, please visit the Massachusetts Department of Marine Fisheries (http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/) for full regulations, information and updates.

Leave a Response

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Back to top ©2024 GoPogy